Interested in joining the Safe In Austin team as an Intern?
Safe In Austin is a 501(c)3 nonprofit sanctuary dedicated to rescuing, rehabilitating and caring for animals that have been abused, abandoned, or have special needs. We show our rescues a new way of life by sharing their unique stories and educating others about them.
Safe In Austin Interns gain experience working at a nonprofit sanctuary with over 120 animal residents covering over a dozen species, learn valuable skills related to animal health behavior and care, as well as get the chance to bond with so many animals while performing daily duties.
Safe in Austin Interns will report to their Animal Care Liaison while working closely with the Volunteers and Animals and may also occasionally coordinate with other staff.
Your time interning with the Animal Care Team at Safe In Austin is valued beyond words, and we thank you for interest in joining the team! We could not maintain the high standards of care without the help of our interns and volunteers.
● Full or part-time internships are available, a minimum of 8 hours per week.
● We can offer flexibility with weekly hours and length of the internship to accommodate schedules,
however, applicants must be able to work the following shifts: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
● Openings are available year-round. We are currently recruiting for Summer and Fall 2021
● This internship will be performed 100% on-site and must be able to commute and provide their own transportation
● Interns must be prepared to work in all weather conditions and plan to dress appropriately
● This is an unpaid internship
Duties & Responsibilities
● Clean and refill all waters daily
● Maintain cleanliness of animal pens and water pools
● Stocking hay, straw and wood shavings in the various buildings
● Filling feed bins in all animal areas
● Sweeping the hallways of all the barns and coops
● Assist with mucking barns and coops when needed
● Assist Animal Care staff with preparing food bowls for animals
● Stocking medical supplies in the various buildings
● Apply sunscreen and fly spray to animals that require it
● Cook and distribute eggs to the birds
● Chop, sort and distribute fresh produce to the animals
● Assist with animal restraint for medical procedures
● Shadow Animal Caregivers conducting health checks
● Interest in animal care, veterinary science, animal behavior, nonprofit work
● Commitment to Safe In Austin’s organization goals and mission
● Ability to lift 30 pounds and do general physical work
● Attention to detail & extremely reliable
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team
● Communication skills
● Flexibility and openness to a multitude of tasks
● Willingness to learn new things and get covered in mud